Oklahoma City Guardianship Attorney

Managing the Affairs of a Minor or Incapacitated Person

A guardian is a person that is appointed to manage the affairs of an individual who is incapable of acting for himself. Such persons can be minors or adults that are physically or mentally incapacitated and they are referred to as the "ward." The appointment of a guardian entails numerous responsibilities and duties; however, the exact nature of a guardian's duties will be determined by a judge and Oklahoma law.

Once a guardian is appointed, he or she will perform their duties under the direction and supervision of the court. The guardian will be required to account to the court for any of their actions taken as a guardian. The guardian will be directed by the court to take certain actions in the capacity of a guardian and to prepare reports for the court.

Guardianship and Conservatorship Act

The Oklahoma legislature created the Guardianship and Conservatorship Act, this Act was created to protect the welfare of all Oklahoma citizens and to protect the financial resources and wellbeing of minors, partially incapacitated and incapacitated individuals.

  • There are three categories of guardianship: general, limited, and special.
  • A general guardian may be a guardian of the ward, a guardian of the ward's property, or both.
  • A limited guardian has limited power over the ward, the ward's property, or both, whereas a special guardian is appointed for an emergency purpose, and typically does not exceed 30 days.

Defining Incapacitated Persons

An incapacitated person is someone who is eighteen (18) years of age or older and who is impaired by reason of mental illness, mental retardation, developmental disability, physical illness or disability, or drug or alcohol dependency. Such incapacitated person's ability to receive and evaluate information effectively or make responsible decisions is impaired to the extent that he or she cannot meet their essential requirements for health or safety, or they are unable to manage their financial resources.

The court may appoint a spouse, an adult child, a parent, a sibling, or another person approved by the court with whom the potential ward has been living with for over six months.

If you are interested in becoming a guardian for a minor child or an incapacitated adult, it's important to obtain legal representation from a qualified Oklahoma City guardianship attorney. Contact Elizabeth A. Richards Attorney at Law for further assistance.

Elizabeth A. Richards

Attorney at Law

Elizabeth A. Richards Attorney at Law - Oklahoma City Probate Lawyer
Located at 112 West Commerce Street Oklahoma City, OK 73109. View Map
Phone: (405) 788-4662
Local Phone: (405) 319-9696.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Call today for a consultation.

(405) 788-4662