Oklahoma City Child Support Attorney

How is child support calculated?

Children have the right to receive support from their mother and father and this right is not lost when one parent leaves the home or when the parents get divorced. When children do not receive child support, they suffer emotionally and physically. Their basic needs are not met, they experience a reduced standard of living, and they are more inclined to become non-supportive when they have children of their own.

In Oklahoma, child support is calculated using the gross income of both parents along with any medical insurance premium being paid by one parent, and the actual child care expenses being paid to the child care provider.

  • This information along with any other information that is required under the law is used in the calculation of support under the child support guidelines.
  • The information is computed to determine the monthly child support obligation that the noncustodial parent is supposed to pay.

In Oklahoma, only a judge has the ability to order that child support is to be paid. If after the administrative hearing before an administrative law judge, you do not agree with the administrative order entered that establishes or enforces a child support order, you have the right to appeal the order to the district within 30 days.

Child Support Modifications

It is not uncommon for circumstances to change for either parent over time. When there has been a significant change in circumstances, then a parent has the right to petition the court for a modification to their support payments. Providing the most recent order was not issued within the past 12 months and your case has not been reviewed during that time, you can petition the court for a modification.

Financial affidavits are sent to both parties and used to determine whether or not the child support should be modified. If the calculated support amount differs 10% from the existing support order, then the order will be modified whether the change is an increase or a decrease.

Contact our office for legal assistance!

The attorney at our firm, has a reputation for representing those who are notice by the Department of Homeland Security to appear for the establishment or modification of child support. Very frequently, individuals in this position can have massive sums of allged arrearages from lack of payment on the child support. For this reason, it is important to obtain qualified, experienced representation for your defense.

If you need assistance obtaining child support, enforcing a child support order, or petitioning the court for a child support modification, we urge you to contact Elizabeth A. Richards Attorney at Law for the quality legal representation you need to get this matter resolved. With 26 years of experience, attorney Richards has the knowledge, tools and experience to help you.

Elizabeth A. Richards

Attorney at Law

Elizabeth A. Richards Attorney at Law - Oklahoma City Probate Lawyer
Located at 112 West Commerce Street Oklahoma City, OK 73109. View Map
Phone: (405) 788-4662
Local Phone: (405) 319-9696.

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Call today for a consultation.

(405) 788-4662